Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Learn Marathi - A quick Guide

While learning any language takes more than an age for human being, we all need to pick up on the basics of the language of the natives to get the best cooperation and hence most comfort when on tour. Here is an attempt to translate few of the frequently used marathi words..a 10 minute dictionary for you.

Hello
Namaskaar
Welcome
Swaagat (formal) / Yaa (informal)

How are you?

Kasey aahat?

Fine

Bara ahey (men) / Bari ahey(women)

Glad to meet you

Tumhala bhetun aanand zhaala

What is your name?

Aaple naav kaay?

I'm John

Mee John

Come in

Aat yaa

Sit down

Basaa

Stop

Thambaa

Go forward

Pudhey Jaa

Go back

Maagey Jaa

Go straight

Saral Zaa

I want to get down here

Mala ikdey utraiche ahey

Next stop

Pudhcha stop

Listen

Aika

Please

Krupa karoon

Thank you

Dhanyavaad

Goodbye

Nirop gheto

I want

Mala havay

Can you help me please?

Krupa karun mala madat kartaa kaa

I agree

Mee sahmat ahey

I disagree

Mee sahmat nahee

Good

Changla / Chhaan

Congratulations

Abhinandan

I request (you)

Mee vinanti karto / karte

Thanks a lot

Anek dhanyavaad

Excuse me/sorry

Malaa maaf kara

I apologize

Mee chuklo

Let's go

Chala Jaauya

How much Will it cost?

Hyachi kimmat kaay ahey

Is this water good for drinking?

Hey pyayche paani ahey kaa

Can I make a phone call from here?

Mee ek phone karu shakte kaa

Where can I hire a taxi?

Mala taxi kothe milel

Where does this road go?

Haa rasta kothe jaato

Don't speak so fast

Itkya vegaat bolu nakaa

When do you go back?

Apan kevhaa paratjanar

Come back again

Parat yaa

Zero

Shunya

One

Ek

Two

Don

Three

Teen

Four

Char

Five

Paach

Six

Saha

Seven

Saat

Eight

Aath

Nine

Nau

Ten

Daha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tour of Mumbai Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template